Pages

Sunday 6 October 2013

Indy James


Indy James
Born 28th August '13
weighing 9lb 1/4 oz
at 2.52pm















Here's my birth story. So if you're a bit squeamish then I suggest you avert your gaze!

When I hit 37 weeks, I started getting a lot more braxton hicks and false labour. I would wake up in the night so often with pretty painful contractions. I was convinced It was going to happen "any second now" for about 2 weeks!
At about 11pm on 27th Aug, at 39+3weeks, I had another bout of what I thought was false labour, so I just went to bed and tried to get some sleep but I woke up at 2am with the pain much worse. I was in denial that it was labour though so I bounced on my gym ball for about an hour and watched some television.
The pain started getting pretty intense though so I called the labour ward and they suggested I have a bath, which is where I realised that it was for real. I stayed in the bath for about 3 hours...mainly because I couldn't move!
After I managed to crawl out, I bounced a bit more, called the labour ward again and they pretty much told me to man up and wait a bit longer!
I ignored their advice and turned up an hour later once my mum had arrived to take care of Oscar.


Once at the hospital, just a quick 5 minute drive away, I was put onto a monitor and the midwife checked to see how far along I was (which she had to check during a contraction?! yowch!). I was 6cm! (good job I ignored that advice eh?!) further than I thought I would be as I was fully expecting for her to tell me I was only 2cm and to grow some balls.
I got taken to a room with a pool but by this point I was already pretty pruney and just wanted to sit on the bed for a while so Andy could rub my back. All the pain was in my back so I chugged the gas and air and even got the midwife to rub me when Andy had to take a break. (apparently I was annoying him a lot by dropping my water bottle every 5 mins).

Many hours later and I hadn't progressed very far so I had my waters broken and just minutes later I was pushing. As I'd had an epidural last time, the experience was completely different for me and 20minutes later at 2.52 Indy was born!

We had a feed and some cuddles, got a quick bath in the pool, packed up the bags which were mostly unneeded. And just 3 short hours later we were headed home. (Well, we stopped for a quick KFC on the way back)

We chose the name Indy from a website we found with unusual (but fairly realistic) baby names. We were going to name him Indiana (after the great Indiana Jones) but with his middle name being James it sounded too close to us being crazy fans, so we kept Indy. We've found it's what I like to call a Marmite name...people either love it's uniqueness or think i'm cruel and strange. But we love it and he Looks like an Indy so I'm glad we chose it.

His big brother Oscar loves him, though is pretty rough with him sometimes when he's trying to hug and kiss him.


Indy loves tummy time, his legs being stoked and his ear/neck raspberried.
He loves laying in his bouncer with me looking at him upside down (upside down mummy game!)
He likes falling asleep to loud music, or me singing and bouncing him.
He's breastfed but am partial weaning so I can go back to work for christmas (where i'm unfortunately unable to express)
He's given us a few smiles which I'm SURE wasn't wind, it's a cute smile.
We all love babywearing wherever we can but he's also snug as a bug in his pushchair.
He really hates bath time but likes top and tail time because he loves having his butt out!
Daddy is the burp and swaddle king! I feed him then Daddy gets the wind out and wraps him like a pro.
His bouncer is his favourite place to be, after being in someones arms.
He's an absolute star (which I'm going to probably regret because it's nearly bedtime and no doubt he'll start being a pain cos I said that!)


No comments:

Post a Comment