Pages

Saturday 16 March 2013

Breast vs Bottle

It has always been my plan with this second baby to breastfeed.
With Oz, I wanted to try it and see how it went but knew that ultimately I would bottle feed. My mother bottle fed all of her children so it was really all I knew and being quite young at the time I was quite selfish and didn't feel I could give myself 100% to my baby all the time.
It wasn't long before Oz was spending some nights away from me either so it was all out of ease and comfort for myself rather than what was best.

Even before I was pregnant with baby number two I've decided to breastfeed and trying to get it into my head that that's what I'm doing and really preparing myself for it as early as possible, gathering all the information I can and steering away from buying bottles. However there's always the fact that not everyone supports breastfeeding particularly in public. I saw this article this morning and it really makes me fearful as a first time breast feeder how I'm going to cope:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/times_guardian/news/2013/march/13/breastfeeding_mum_told_to_quit.aspx

The comments below the article is really where I feel disgusted. I don't feel like I should have to plan my entire life around feeding my child, it's completely natural and in my opinion, if babe and boob are covered there's no issue about it. I feel self conscious about myself as it is without other people coming up to me and asking me to shove off because THEY are uncomfortable. How did he think he was making that poor mother feel by telling everyone what she was doing!

It really makes me nervous to think I might be faced with these prejudices in my town and I can really understand now why women choose the bottle over the breast. I am still wanting to breastfeed but its going to be something weighing on my mind until I have the balls to leave the house with my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment